Turkey killed some 360,000 Kurds
1925-8 = 250,000:
Minority Rights Group report – Issues 20-30 – Page 68
Minority Rights Group
modernise Turkish society upset traditionalists, including the Kurds, many of whom revolted in 1925. … Kurdish sources claim that the Turks massacred 250,000 Kurds during the campaigns of 1925-26,18 among them Shaikh Said, the revolt’s …
The state of war and peace atlas – Page 41
Dan Smith, Kristin Ingstad Sandberg, Pavel Baev – Penguin, Feb 20, 1997 – Political Science – 128 pages
An updated reference includes brilliantly colored maps that graphically illuminate the causes and consequences of modern conflict, depicting the devastation experienced in war-torn areas and charting the expense in lives and dollars of working towards peace.
1990s TURKEY From 1980, as war escalates, Turkey depopulates guerrilla areas to deny popular support to PKK 1925 Turkish troops crush Kurdish uprising killing 250,000 ‘A PKK SYRIA Arbil Hawler ‘no fiyzone’policed by France, Turkey, …
Al-Ahram Weekly | Turkish Kurdistan: The extinction of a forgotten people
ahram.org.egNov 12, 1998
By Reda Hilal
Kurds at Diyarbakir still recall with bitterness today the massacres committed by Ataturk’s new-born republic in 1925 in the town of Dirsim, which is now known as Tongli. A Kurdish rebellion led by Sheikh Said Al-Kurdi broke out, and the Turkish army burned hundreds of Kurdish villages, killing at least 250,000 people. The leaders of the rebellion, including Sheikh Said, were executed and their bodies left hanging in public for many days to scare the Kurdish population. By the time of Ataturk’s death in 1938, at least 1 million Kurds had been displaced from their homes and towns and moved to the Anatolia region of western Turkey.
Diyarbakir – LookLex Encyclopaedia
1925: A Kurdish rebellion is crushed by Turkish troops. Between 40,000 and 250,000 Kurds of the region are killed in reprisals in the following years.
Freedom for Ocalan, Political status for Kurds: London demonstration
Written on February 14, 2012 by Editor in Events, Kurdistan, PKK, Turkey, UK
Date and time: Wednesday 15th February 2012 – 1pm
Start Point: Halkevi Kurdish Turkish Community Centre 31-33 Dalston Lane E8 3DF
End Point: Amnesty International
The fate of the Kurdish people in Turkey has become intertwined with the fate of Mr. Ocalan. Since its inception in 1923 the Turkish state has not accepted the existence of the Kurdish people and massacred over 250,000 Kurds; and also denied their right to representation and a leader. All Kurdish leaders have either been executed, murdered or imprisoned. This is why the freedom of Mr. Ocalan is a prerequisite for a political and peaceful solution to the Kurdish question. As well as being regarded by millions of Kurds and the Kurdistan Freedom Movement as their leader, Mr. Ocalan is also the most important interlocutor for negotiations. The Turkish state has accepted this in recent years and met with Mr. Ocalan to develop a road map for a solution. However the AKP government has refused to sign the protocols drawn up by Mr. Ocalan and have punished him by exacerbating his isolation. Without Mr. Ocalan’s freedom the war between Kurdish people and Turkish state will continue claiming the lives of thousands of people and deepen the divide between Kurds and Turks.
1937-8: = 70,000 (Dersim)
To the Attention of Press and Public “DERSĐM ‘38 CONFERANCE“
WE WILL NOT FORGET OR LET FORGET THE DERSĐM GENOCIDE!!
It’s the 70th anniversary of the Dersim Genocide. Although 70 years have passed since the genocide by the Turkish Government in Dersim in 1937-38, this massacre has never been forgotten nor will it be forgotten as the culprits have not been brought out into light.
Dersim massacre started with the Turkish Republic regime presenting Dersim as a target by stating “Dersim is a ‘Pandora’s Box’”.
First by means that aren’t very common the name of Dersim was changed to ‘Tunceli in 1935.
In order to carry out this massacre, the Council of Ministers came together in Ankara on 4 May 1937 and formed ‘Tunceli Questioning Operation’ Council of Ministers and signed the half a page document classed as “Top Secret” which was the order for the Dersim massacre.
According to the official figures 12 thousand people were massacred in the Dersim Genocide. According to the people of Dersim 70 thousand people were massacred. After this atrocious act thousand of people were banished from their homeland.
On 16 November 1937, Seyit Riza who was one of the Kurdish leaders and seven of his comrades were hanged in Elazığ. Despite all attempts by the families, the grave sites of Seyit Riza and his comrades still haven’t been disclosed.
Dersim Genocide is not the only genocide the Republican Turkey has committed towards Kurds and Alevis. During the reign of the Ottoman emperor Ahmet I. between 9 December 1606 and 5 August 1611, the “fire wells” of ‘Murat Pasha the Well digger’ who had murdered almost 100 thousand Kurdish Kizilbash Alevis, are still remembered by many. The problem Yavuz Sultan Selim couldn’t solve in 1514 by murdering 40 thousand people by sword was attempted to be solved during 1935- 1938 in Dersim once again by a massacre.
The 1938 tragedy has not only left behind the dead, the wounded and banishments, it has left behind a depopulated region whose name and all presence has been banned. The Dersim Kurds has faced a planned, systematic genocide and an extremely cruel assimilation process because of their; identity, language, culture and religious beliefs.
The “one language and one nation” policy of the Republic of Turkey that continues in today’s society as been the source of serious massacres first in Kocgiri, then at Seyh Said Revolt, at Zilan and at Dersim.
During the Dersim Genocide the Turkish government has massacred thousands of people, those who survived were banished,
Dersim massacre monument to open next month
24 October 2012 / ALI HAYDAR GÖZLÜ, TUNCELI
A monument built to commemorate the victims of the Dersim massacre, which started in 1937, is set to open on Nov. 17 in Mazgirt in the eastern province of Tunceli.
An alleged rebellion in Dersim, the old name for Tunceli, was led by Seyit Rıza, the chief of a Zaza tribe in the region. The government at the time, led by former Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader İsmet İnönü, responded with air strikes and other violent methods of suppression, killing thousands of people.
The massacre took place in five different spots in Mazgirt. The victims’ bodies were left in place, not buried. Not until the incidents ended in 1938 were some of the bodies buried in graves by the survivors.
Years after the bloody incident, due to feelings of unease after the revelation that bones from the incident were scattered in parts of the district and that the victims did not have a decent graveyard, the residents of Mazgirt proposed to Mazgirt Mayor Tekin Türkel that a monument should be constructed in memory of the murdered people. Türkel responded affirmatively and took the issue to the municipal council. The council approved the proposal, which also received support from many others who are originally from Dersim but who now live elsewhere.
The construction of the monument was financed by Tunceli businesspeople Özer Özgen and Kadrile Akçelik Özgen, while its architect is Dara Kırmızı Toprak.
In remarks to the press, Mayor Türkel said it was intentional that the timing for the opening coincided with the date of Seyit Rıza’s death. He added that political parties represented in Parliament, with the exception of the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP), as well as delegates from the European Parliament have been invited to the opening ceremony.
It is estimated that as many as 70,000 Kurdish Alevis were killed in Dersim between 1937 and 1938. According to the official figures, 13,806 people were killed, and 12,000 people were exiled.
Since 1984 = 40,000:
Clashes between Turkish Army, Kurdish militants kill 8 – GMA Network
www.gmanetwork.com › GMA News Online › News › World
15 Oct 2012 – Turkish security forces killed six Kurdish militants in gun battles in southeastern … More than 40,000 people have been killed in the conflict.
Fighting in Turkey kills soldier, 3 Kurdish militants | World | Reuters
af.reuters.com › Home › News › World
23 Sep 2012 – The PKK took up arms against the Turkish state in 1984 to establish an ethnic homeland. More than 40,000 people, mainly Kurds, have died in …
BBC News – Turkey blast ‘kills seven’ in Tunceli
25 Sep 2012 – Fighting between Turkish troops and the PKK – the Kurdistan Workers’ … military and the PKK which in total has killed more than 40,000 people.